Old 04-27-11, 11:40 AM   #26
Osmium Steele
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by desirableroasted View Post
But I do want to know this....

Are "duds" modeled for impact pistols? Because, as I have said, I cannot recall ever having a "dud" impact-pistoled torpedo.
Until last night, I would have agreed with you.

While raiding Dunkirk, an auxiliary cruiser and LST were moored outside the break water. I lined up at 87 deg AOB on the stationary cruiser. The AOB on the LST was not optimal due to its odd angle pierside. Light mist and 6 knot winds, so sea state not an issue.

The only time I ever used magnetics in a port raid, they all failed, which I half expected as many large ships barely clear the bottom when pierside.

I set all 4 fish to impact and 2 meter depth. Fired tube 2 at the LST, and a salvo of tubes 1, 3, and 4 at the cruiser.

I lowered the scope, and beat feet outta there, watching the fish run in on the TDC. The first fish to reach the cruiser, aimed dead center, bounced off the hull, the remaining fish, each at slightly higher and lower angles, detonated.

This should be simple enough, though tedious, to test.

A line of targets at 2000m, 90 AOB. Fire a full salvo, reload. Fire stern tube/s while reloading bow tubes. Record the results. Reload the mission when you run out of ammo.

What would be a reasonable sample size? 1000 shots?
Osmium Steele is offline   Reply With Quote