View Single Post
Old 06-21-20, 07:28 PM   #8
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Thanks Bubblehead, interesting report, so it shows it's possible to receive assistance, but you need to be lucky apparently which I also did expect, although most of the friendly airports are not very far away at career start in 1941-1942 or so (for example if you start from Manilla until its siege it should have friendly planes), and about friendly carriers, well, I'd be very lucky to see one some day, I think I would follow him on this route for a good while

Greetings,
XS

No problem. Friendly airports seems to operate differently than actual carriers. Depends on the state of war, how things are set up in the air.cfg, the skill level assigned, range etc Bottom line, air support is rare, esp if dont have a carrier nearby and early in war, think can forget it. I know it varies so much, many mods script the air traffic in certain situations, such as I mentioned below about RSRD mod. I just added some air traffic in TMO to simulate PBY's discovering a JF task force leaving Rabaul heading for Empress Augusta Bay on afternoon of 11/1/43. Also added a PBY attacking them at 0130(as per history) and it slows down their transit before engaging in battle around 0300 off the bay. In past have scripted the air strikes on IJN carriers off midway etc in case game does not spawn the planes from carriers because happened to be just out of range etc. Later in war like in RSRD, when it scripts TF 38 in South China Sea in January 1945, if was near a carrier and ran into a TF , could sent contact report and good chance would get an air strike, or if in the central phillippines ran into Kurita's Center Force heading for san bernadino strait, will get air support there(I recall someone positing the story while back) but again, some of the attack is already scripted.

US submarines wise, we can't really get them from contacts reports, but with FOTRS having AI torpedo firing subs, including fleet boats, soon as I can get them working in TMO, there will be scripted wolfpacks later in the war. That is the song and dance of SH 4, players modders doing best with what have(which is a lot more than I once realized) to let this sim be as great as possible. I loved this sim but would have lost interest YEARS ago if not for the community.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote