View Single Post
Old 06-23-17, 07:11 PM   #44
Wiz33
Navy Dude

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PL_Harpoon View Post
Wire break chance only affects braking the wire at launch.
If I'm not mistaken, wire braking works like that.
- % chance of braking at launch
- the biggest angle between direction of the boat and the torpedo the greatest chance of braking the wire - the manual states it's 40 deg (20 on each side), in my experience it's more like 60.
- wire will brake when your speed exceeds 15 knots
- pitching will also increase the chance of braking - this one is a bit vague and I haven't tested it much, however I have been diving at 20 deg without the wire braking, but that was at some distance from the torpedo - basically, when I have a connection I tend to change depth by ballast only.
- some boats have limited number of connections. Skipjack can have only one, Permit, Sturgeon and Narwhal can have 2 and only LA can have 4 wire guided torps at a time.

As far as I know these are the only rules that affect torpedo wires. So if you follow those rules, the only way a wire can break is if it does on launch (10% chance, but can be moddable).
Murphy also have a hand in it. I had a torp doing a dogleg, It's well within the forward 60, my sub did not change speed and pitch and the wire broke just when I was about to have it turn in towards the target. Waste a perfectly good torp.
Wiz33 is offline   Reply With Quote