View Single Post
Old 07-04-19, 03:47 PM   #15
Elphaba
Neptune's daughter

Downloads: 164
Uploads: 0
Icon5 Wolfpack 0.18 Torpedo run before turn problem

So, in the 'Development Updates' thread there is a conversation about the extreme and out of the blue change to the torpedo run before the gyro angle turn.

To prove the point, I used the historical technique of running between columns headfirst and firing left and right at close by ships.

I mimicked this in Wolfpack 0.18 using the Training scenario to enable the true information on the map.

In the linked video you will see I set up a perfect head on shot. I fired when the target ship is about 60 degree bearing on the periscope, on a parallel course with an abeam distance of just 420m

I fire with the scope pointing at midships on the target ship.

The torpedo runs about 230m before doing a 45m radius hard turn 130 degrees to the right in order to try and hit the ship.

As such it only just clips the rudder area of the ship which has a length of 124m, which means due to the massive parallax error incurred because of the extreme torpedo run, it's hitting about 60m behind where you're aiming.

Previous to the 0.18 patch, the torpedo run before turn was about 34m with the same radius.

It's not increased by a factor of almost 6.2!!

To hit midships in this historically accurate type of approach you need to be aiming ahead of the bow of the ship!?!

Below is the link to my youtube video showing this and two screen shots showing the torpedo run and the 130 degree turn it had to make.

I believe this is a mistake and it was meant to be that the torpedo ARMED over 200m, not turned onto Gyro Angle.

I hope this gets fixed soon as it's a major problem to my kind of approach / tactics.
Elphaba is offline   Reply With Quote