View Single Post
Old 11-01-18, 07:03 AM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

You are not alone, propbeanie, many have reported issues, and not one month passes thrse days without the majrity of monthly oatches and updates beign porked: often now even ALL such patches and updates are pred and problems in themselves.

I can only once again recommend to follow this blog daily, get the comments (so many knowing people there, pros), and to read the sometimes linked articles as well. Rockin Robbins brought this one to my awareness some long time ago, I have read others before, two German and one English one, but this one is easier and better for my purposes and limited needs.

https://www.askwoody.com/

Woody and Patch Lady usually give good headups on status of every single patch released, usually combined with the reocmemndation to NOT use it. Susan Bradley is no unknown in the business. She knows the stuff inside out, and her verdicts weigh heavy. Listen to them.

I also recommend, if you can afford it, to use two system, Windows for gaming or whatever software you desperately deoend on using under windows, Linux for everything. If a second system is out of the question, then go dual boot on one platform.

Updating has chnaged fundamentally. In the past the advice was to keep updated. Today it is: avoid, delay, opt out if you can. Don't do it withiout having issues, and don't do it before Woody went down to Defcon 3 or better even 4. Use the Windows options to delay all update types and oatches for as long as your master at Microsoft allow. Define your internet connection as "metered". Use a tool like WUB (Windows Update Boocker) to switch on and off the WU service.

Windows is a mess these days, a zombie, an echo of the past with better days that are no more. And as was argued just short time ago, i linked it somewhere, Microsoft even CANNOT do it any better anymore. Bah, dont get me started again. Its all a mess. Don't update or patch if you must not. Its not 2005 anymore.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-01-18 at 07:15 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote