View Single Post
Old 09-14-19, 05:46 PM   #62
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Thanks I found two of those links already but missed the Canadian Navy one. And yes, this variety of possible configurations is one reason why this ship might be interesting for SH5 - with just small modifications to base 3D model and modelling some custom weapons, one can have several very different vessels added to the game.
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Speaking of custom weapons, by using what I learned from you and Jeff I was able to make a functional custom Y-gun today (with just 7 reloads per barrel instead of 40 like in SH4 version, which was far too many for such a small ship) and a DC chute (also with very limited ammo). They're both very crude and not textured yet, but at least they work!
You have read in my mind. Yesterday I exported Sh5's Y-gun meshes. They have a better resolution than SHIII-IV ones, though I am not fully sure about their accuracy: that model looks to me like a US K-gun minus one leg.

According to navweaps.com, there were three Y-gun models saw active service, the Marks 1, 5 and 8, the first of them being delivered in 1917. I have found a digitalized version of the Ordnance Pamphlet n. 63 dated October 1918, covering Mark 1 of the so called Y-gun. From pictures included in that document, the Y-gun by Ubisoft brings only a vague resemblance with the real thing. Something else should be considered though: the first Fairmile B motor launch was completed in October 1940, before Y guns were rendered obsolete by the introduction of the K-gun, and it is likely that she would have fitted with a later Mark Y-gun. Unfortunately I couldn't find any picture of Marks 5 and 8, so I have no idea whether they looked more like the Mark 1 Y-gun, or like the SH5 rendition. Do you have more information on that?

One last remark: in SH games, the "saddles" that depth charges rest on when loaded on their throwers, are part of the throwers themselves, and they stay in place after the DCs have been launched. In reality, though, that plate was part of the arbor thrown together with the charges when the projector was fired. Maybe that will be clearer after seeing the pictures and reading the details explained in another OP.
The arbor itself was set so that it detached itself from its DC during the flight. I don't think we can simulate that in game, but if we set arbors as a (separate) part of Y/K-gun-thrown DC models, we can make them to become invisible once they enter the water. What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
That and see through walls!

Fixing that shouldn't be too complicated. For sure lesser complicated than giving a proper training the dumb KM worker lol...
gap is offline   Reply With Quote