Old 02-22-22, 06:14 PM   #16
EddieLyons
Watch

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0
Default Impossible mission?! (Part 2)

25 Dec 1941 00:15
132°14’E, 32°41’N.
At 00:01 lookouts reported a ship at 042, long range. Binoculars showed it to be a sail equipped fishing vessel, so I ordered speed reduced to two thirds ahead to limit our chance of being seen. A binocular sweep showed it to be just the closest of five such craft, so I ordered a dive to periscope depth at 00:09.
I had hoped to get further into the Bungo Suido before having to submerge. But now that’s out of the question. We’ll continue from here submerged, at two thirds ahead, making 4 kts. I intend to probe the channel as far as is feasible -- I figure wherever fishing boats go, there’ll be no mines!
The crew is tense, which is to be expected. What a way to start Christmas Day! At least the hydrophone is clear, so there are no patrols within range.

02:10
132°13’E, 32°49’N.
I have decided to surface. Two fishing vessels remain within sight with the periscope, but far enough away not to be a concern. I have both ahead, one off the port bow, the other off the starboard. I can be reasonably confident there are no minefields in the vicinity. I’ve reduced speed to ahead one third, course 359°, to ensure we don’t overhaul the fishing vessels too soon.
Hydrophone also shows no sound contacts, so it looks like there are no patrol vessels in this part of the channel. Surprisingly! The Japanese don’t celebrate Christmas, do they? But wouldn’t it already be 26 Dec on this side of the International Date Line?

02:45
Only one fishing vessel remains in sight ahead, at 355, so I’ve increased speed to two thirds ahead. They seem to be moving faster than I thought!

02:55
I changed course to 004°, ahead standard. This puts us on course to make a change of course about 10 NM ahead, remaining in the deepest part of the channel. However, the one fishing vessel still in sight seems to be making for a shallower part of the channel, on the west side.

03:00
Lookouts spotted another fishing vessel ahead, bearing 344 and on a NNW course. A binocular sweep showed at least three others. I’ve reduced speed to one third ahead again, but maintaining course and staying surfaced. I think we’re far enough behind to remain out of sight, while observing their course. I’ll have to rethink our plotted course if these vessels are indeed heading through the shallower part of the channel.

03:30
Have increased speed once more to two thirds ahead. The fishing boats have pulled ahead, barely within binocular view. We’re also beginning to lose the moon -- won’t be long before it sets. I had hoped to be further into the channel before losing the benefit of its light.

04:00
Have reduced speed again to one third ahead. One of the fishing boats almost directly ahead is getting too close for comfort. But, unlike the one we have been tracking, which is on course for the shallower part of the channel, this next one is much nearer to our plotted course. This is reassuring, since it might well mean there is no minefield in our path. We shall proceed with caution.
EddieLyons is offline   Reply With Quote