View Single Post
Old 03-10-16, 01:41 PM   #42
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

Got the ability to drop down into the conning tower which now has interior walls and you can then drop into the "control room hatch" which just drops you into the pressure hull right now.

Its pretty cool.

The only problem is in my haste to get everything working with some interior bits I've let the model topology get away from me. I might end up remodelling everything to make adjustments easier for example I just put the bridge -> conning tower hatch center of the lookout spot, whereas really its to the port side, i had to center it though to make characters fit through it. Also the conning tower -> control center hatch I put about 1.25m aft from the other hatch looking at drawings of a 1943 era sub but on the pampanito virtual tour its actually not a circular hatch, A, and B, is about 1 hatch diameter aft and starboard.

The biggest issue is things like doors rooms etc in games have to be enlarged for character views and sizes. I hope to get it as real as possible on the first sub though.

Update will come once I'm happy with the conning tower 1945 (level 1), presssure hull, and conning tower interior models as well as the hatches and their functionality plus some interior goodies in the conning tower such as some piping and indicators.

I've been trying to learn about FFT's (Fast-fourier-transforms) for making stormy seas but its a very advanced math topic.

Another bug is when controlling the boat while in control of the character you dont inherit the boats rotation or location so if you go ahead flank and your inside the pressure hull you fly backwards sitting still until the bulkhead hits you aft and it pulls you along. You do inherit these when there is no water and your standing on something attached to the model however I have to set the models to "un-attached" right now because I'm using per-poly-collision detection for convenience and speed of development over performance.

Hopefully when I get the water mask plugged into the main ocean mesh generator and decks in the pressure hull to stand on this wont be a issue.