Sea Lord

Downloads: 465
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitender View Post
Sublynx,

thank you very much.

http://www.uboatarchive.net/index.html

is a great source for technical information from first hand. And it is still growing!

LGN1,

Btw, "zusätzlich" means "additional"

The following question is: if both devices were mounted at the same time, were they also manned at the same time? Maybe at least during action stations? That seems possible for me.

Concerning the game: It seems that Silent Hunter is only able to use one sensor type at the same time. If we are right that the KDB was used as an addtion to the GHG, and both hydrophones were used together, we can merge the properties of both sensor types into the KDB sensor, like you did it. My conclusion was to merge the properties for every layer if both were used at the same time.

Have you read anything about range values of the KDB? The ratings of the crews were rather different. Most said the KDB was unreliable and way too sensitive. Others were really confident about much more precise bearings than they had got with the GHG alone.

Greetings
Leitender, I can see one potential problem with merging the capabilities of the two sensors. The KDB had well-documented sensitivity to damage from depth charges. When such damage occurs, the performance advantages of the KDB should be lost, and the hydrophones should revert to GHG. I don't know if this could be implemented in the game short of through a code patch. Without it, the player 's sub either has too much capability or too much damage resistance. Of course, that also presents a problem in the stock version, since a damaged KDB currently means the hydrophones are useless, whereas historically, the sub would still have a functional GHG.

Any modders out there see an ingenious way to tackle this issue?
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote