View Single Post
Old 01-04-07, 09:04 PM   #23
EAST
Sparky

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalExplorer
EAST, you are right that when ERT came out SHIII was 1-2 years off and that's why I bought ERT, and so did probably many, many others. I kind of enjoyed the demo and had read many good reviews. It was only later that I realized its arcadishness, and that most of the good reviews were written by the same 50 people.

After a few months and installing all updates I began to hate the game, but not because of the graphics. I think the graphics were really good, and the game was all in all very athmospheric. It was the gameplay that brought ERT down. I've never seen anything like it before - an arcade game disguised as a computer simulation, in a way that I so much wanted to like it but couldn't.

It is interesting to read that you believe to have revived the genre - thinking about it, that might be true. Very sad that you missed a great opportunity to create the new AOTD. The point of time was perfect, with AOTD almost 10 years old, the community literally starving, you just released the wrong product. And then, strangely, came the big UBI and showed you indy guys how to create a niche product and a classic.

Btw EAST, did you ever play SHIII with the newest mods? Wasn't it a big mistake to deny the users any kind of modding capabilities? Because on restrospect ERT with mods could have been a much different story!

Don't have anything against you as a person, it's just your game really upset me, and it should be allowed to say that.

Better luck for your next projects though.

GE
I actually met with Bob Loya at Vivendi to try and put together a new Aces Of The Deep, but they weren't interested in the genre at all. I then tried to discuss the acquisition of the old Dynamix name and the classic titles with it...again, not interested.

We didn't have a team that LOVED subsims so making it as accurate as it was (you CAN pick the ship silhouettes out in a lineup) actually created a lot of tension - almost to a man NONE of them except probably Blake Hutchins and Myself really put their heart into it. Making Aces of the Deep (even under an assumed name) was out of the question.

We literally built the Enigma for less than Ubisoft spent on Soft drinks and Pizza for SH3.

I own SH3 btw and do play it. I even payed extra for the hardbound book. Enigma just couldn't compete with the hardcore sims - we didn't have the budget to make one, we didn't have the budget (or a publisher) that could promote one...it just couldn't happen.

If you take Enigma for what it is, you will enjoy it. I still play it, I still like it, I'm still pursuing avenues to get the multiplayer version made...probably a pipe dream, but....

As for modding, you do know that there are modding tools to change everything from art to missions and campaigns right? You can't change the interface or add items (no script language), but you can mod quite a bit if the game.

BTW, shame on you if you play Navy Field and don't understand Engima...

--East
EAST is offline   Reply With Quote