View Single Post
Old 03-07-06, 11:27 PM   #23
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
Nothing in what I said prevents the player from hanging themselves. What I described rewards the player for using 'correct' tactics, he can still do something stupid if that's his pleasure
Wouldn't it take the player's decision about what the best compromise between stealth and search rate out of the players hands, though?

In order to get sensor coverage for particular piece of ocean to count, you'd have to go no greater than the prescribed speed.
Imagine you're a smart player who has never seen a search manual or operations analysis textbook, and doesn't know what the optimum decision he might make is, but was clued in enough to realize the compromises involved in search, and wants to experiment.

I decided I was willing to go faster and accept a narrower search width because I could make the area searched up with increased speed, and I didn't think the bad guy was good enough to capitalize on my decreased stealth. If my increased speed was greater than what one decided was smart, then the mission wouldn't be completed even if, statistically speeking, he had achieved the required probability of clearence. It might not necessarily be the smartest thing in the world for him to have done, but it's possible to be successful doing it anyway.

It just seems kind of pedantic to design a mission that can only be completed using a certain tactic. I'd much rather design a mission where it might be possible to do any number of things and still be successful, even if they aren't necessarily optimal. It makes it more fun.
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote