View Single Post
Old 04-05-17, 12:58 AM   #33
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Hi Barracuda, so far I have only read up to the test with winecfg, this is the return terminal message:
"The program 'winecfg' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt install wine1.6"
Thought I'd best get this info to you first.
BTW, the current system I use on my old machine is XP Pro, the new pc is dual boot with Win 10, but I hate it, should I still select Windows 7?
Nasty about the spindle bearing in the HDD, this is the main reason I am trying to update, my old pc is about 6yo, including hard drives.

To answer the simple question first...

WINE just "mimics" Windows as far as the program is concerned, it doesn't actually give you a Windows desktop.

If, for example, you have a game that needs XP minimum to run, but you have wine set to "report" Win98, then when the program starts it checks which version of Windows you have.
Wine will say "this is win98", at that point the program will end and give you a message in a window saying something like "This programs requires Windows XP or better to run".

If you set WINE to WinXP, then re-run that same program it will check as it always does, and Wine will say "WinXP". The program will then start.

A general idea, but I cover the basics of "how" it works here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=229238

---------

As far as whether or not you should install that one, we need to check to see what is available.

Simply because I'm not familiar with the graphical installer, let's stick with apt-get...

on fedora, I can type:

dnf info <name of package>

to get info about that package...

if I just type "dnf" I get a list of possible commands such as "info", "install", "remove", etc.

Try typing just:

apt-get

It should print out the "help" list.

Is there a command like "info" that tells you what a package does?

I'm going to assume that there is one... and that it is called "info".
Substitute which ever command you need to....

If in Fedora, I type:

dnf info mesa

Mesa is the driver/3d part of the sytem (more or less, I'm being really "rough" here).
But there isn't a package name just "mesa", they are all mesa-<something>-<somthing>-etc-etc....

Each containing a small piece of the whole....
So to fine which particular part I need I would type:

dnf info mesa* <----------------------- notice the *

The star, like DOS is the catch all wildcard.... it will then show me all packages that start with "mesa".

Try that with WINE....

Assuming "info" is the right command, again, double check as I mentioned above...

apt-get info wine*

This should show you all the packages that start with wine....
IF it gives an error, then put sudo in front:

sudo apt-get info wine*

You shouldn't need "sudo" just to get info, you are not making any changes at that point....

Lemme know how it goes. I'll check back asap, I got my replacement HDDs...

4, 1TB WD Black... going to setup another RAID0, retire my ~1 year old Seagates to backup duty...

I'll reply as soon as I get the system back up and running. Restoring the backup will take time, it is still only one drive!

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote