View Single Post
Old 05-08-20, 10:32 AM   #413
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyLynx View Post
I’m puzzled by the fact that one can communicate by voice with all other players using Discord while in reality U-Boats communicated using HF radios in CW (Morse Code). To communicate between boats at very short distance, they used Signal Lamps (Aldis Lamps in the RCN) and Semaphore, not to keep Radio Silence, but because I read nowhere that they had VHF or UHF AM/FM Transceivers on board for voice communication. On the other hand, the allied warships were equipped with short range voice transceivers.
Therefore, the use of Enigma and CW Transmitter in the game is as useless as t…s on a bull, unless it is used for communicating with BdU, which at this point is not implemented.

Solution: don't use Discord after this coming update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neistridlar View Post
Discord is entirely separate from Wolfpack, so I don't see how that should be puzzling?

I'm looking forward to having voice comms In game in a somewhat realistic, more immersive manner. I do wonder though how it will affect gameplay though. For instance will the sonarman/radio operator hear the captain when he is on the bridge? Will walls block the sound? Will it matter which way you are facing? IRL, when in the open at sea, there is almost nothing to reflect sound, so speech becomes very directional. That is I would not expect the captain, on the bridge to hear the deck gunner if the gunner is facing is facing forward.
This is your lucky day, my friend.