Thread: Formula One
View Single Post
Old 05-24-21, 09:04 AM   #137
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

What a result!

Where to start? The race itself was about as expected, I don't recall seeing a single overtake aside from those resulting from pit strategy.

But it was the drama surrounding the race that stands out. Ferrari really bottled it. There is talk that the problem forcing Leclerc from the race was unrelated to the crash. Maybe. But if not they took way too big of chance, having said they would not. To not make the start is a massive mistake. Sainz helped mitigate the damage with his impressive drive, but they had two podium cars this weekend and to let it slip in such a fashion seems inexcusable.

I was shocked and delighted with Bottas' pitstop. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Incredibly unfortunate for him and Mercedes, who have a very tight pitcrew, maybe the finest on the grid. If it was a cross-thread it's on them. But that is really poor luck that has huge ramifications in the title chase. Bottas had a potential winning car and to fail to score is a massive blow.

Combined with Hamilton's pedestrian drive it was a nightmare weekend for Mercedes.

Red Bull however had a fantastic weekend. Partly it was due to the misfortune of their rivals, and partly due to what they got right. First, Max drove a great race. Very focused, fast, consistent and he showed great patience to temper his pace, yet turn it on when needed. It was a masterful drive and well done to him for his first Monaco podium. It was nail-biting stuff in the final part of the race, as I expected disaster when so much was on offer.

Secondly, Perez once again showed good racecraft, turning his lackluster ninth on the grid in to a solid fourth at the flag. Great strategy to overcut the midfield and take more points than I thought possible at the start. But he must improve on Saturday's with his one lap pace to turn these good drives in to podiums.

Still, Red Bull emerge in the lead in both titles chases, which is insane and way more than they could have dreamed of heading in to Monaco. My posts earlier were warning against it slowly slipping away as Mercedes were more polished each race. But this result tears it all up and we have a right proper title fight once again. Great for the sport, for the fans and for Red Bull supporters

Lando again. What a great drive, and he is putting together a hugely impressive season. Vettel really redeemed himself, and Aston Martin had a great race. Alfa scored and Kimi nearly did. Seems like he is 11th every weekend, doesn't it?

Lastly, and Buddahaid touched on it, is the fact that the race was so clean. No safety car, not even a yellow flag, right? Unbelievable. I expected carnage. Nope. This had to have been the fastest Monaco Grand Prix in history. Well done to all the drivers for such a clean race, which is so difficult to do here.