View Single Post
Old 03-19-14, 06:06 AM   #78
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

No, work on the pumps took longer than expected (and required a bunch of other things to be changed) so I decided not to include them in 0.20, they'll be in the next version. Because of limits with the old file system, adding the pumps as new objects required me to redesign the entire submarine - so now I've completely overhauled how the game handles submarine data files to make building and editing submarines an easier and quicker process in future. Which was definitely worthwhile, as it simplifies a lot of other tasks too.

But back to the pumps. Previously I tried adding them in a similar way to the ventilation system (so they simply removed water at a constant rate from every room) but it was very difficult to balance - sometimes the pumps were almost useless, other times they were so effective it almost felt like cheating. Now, I've added them as independent objects in the game (like the diesel engines for example) so they can be individually damaged, destroyed, repaired etc. I hadn't considered the effects of water pressure but that's an excellent point, and provides a very good way to balance the system. At the moment I think the pumps should run at full efficiency down to about 30m, then taper off until about 100m where they will basically stop working - but this will require some testing and balancing. As you said, it should be a tense race against time! The pumps will definitely be included in the next version, and I expect the sonar system to be mostly finished by then too.
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote