View Single Post
Old 01-11-18, 07:29 AM   #9
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
If you play at a fixed resolution you can probably mod the existing interface to have fullscreen 'stations' for helm, conditions, signature, stores and damage control, provided you play the game from the 'tab' full screen tactical map.
This is very good news, IMO added 2D screens would fit the whole game system much better than work-intensive 3D rooms.

Suggestions:
In some games I have seen a good combination of 2D rooms where you go int the different rooms by just clicking on doors or hatches. The artwork just has to be done in a way to give a good 3D impression.
In Cold Waters, these 2D rooms would fill 1/3 of the lower screen leaving the upper 2/3 for the outside view, with a key command to hide the whole rooms and command items if desired (returning to the current outfit). There would be the Command Room with sonar station, periscope station (already present!) and tactical view (already there!), all in full 2D with some inner decors of the sub, hatches/doors leading to the repair screen, then to the forward torpedo room; the aft torpedo room being left from command room.

With such 2D rooms, special effects are easier to add, like water level rising when flooding occurs etc. Modern game engines (CW uses Unity?) allow for moving effects that pretty look like 3D although all grafics are in 2D, even moving NPC's are possible I think.
The artwork for such 2D rooms would be easier to do than similar 3D models, I'm sure.

However, I'm aware that all this above is still a big work to do.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote