View Single Post
Old 01-06-19, 12:38 PM   #28
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
I don't know where to start looking as I assumed that the "Save game/Load game" functions were hard coded in the sh4.exe. Now, I think not. Some modification has prevented a full and accurate loading of a save game from within the FOTRSU.v* supermod.
My testing shows that this issue does not effect War Patrols, Single Missions or Training.

So, I designed a test. Starting Career at Pearl Harbor, January 1944, Balao Class boat (although I don't believe this matters, then again, everything matters....) [EDIT] It turns out that January 1944 matters. Everything matters!

Start Career. Set course 270. Speed 1/3. Draw your course on the map a good long distance and then make waypoints every 10 degrees of Longitude. This will make sure that there are enough waypoints so that when you load the save game you will see that the waypoints have been saved as well. Note the azimuth of the sun. On course 270 @ 1304 on Jan. 3, 1944, I am reading an azimuth of 299 degrees relative bearing.
Save the game. I saved it as "1304 C270 S299 Daylight".

Then, Ahead Standard and Time Compression 512x until 1501. You are now out of range of Pearl Harbor traffic and you can Time Compress in place at Latitude 21D 14' N Longitude 158D 24' W. ALL STOP @ 0 knots. From here on we will stay in position. Note the azimuth of the sun. I am reading 321 at 1501. Save the game. I saved it as "1501 C270 S321 Daylight".

Then, Time Compression until Sunset (1704). Note the azimuth of the sun, 337. Save the game. "1704 C270 S337SS Sunset"

Then, Time Compression until Midnight. Save the game. "0001 C270 MIDNIGHT".

Then, Time Compression until Sunrise (0615). Note the azimuth of the sun, 204. Save the game. "0615 C270 S204SR Sunrise".

Now, close the game, start again and load any of the above save games and verify that the azimuth of the sun is as you originally recorded it and that all of your waypoints are there.

I loaded the "1501....Daylight" save and verified it as good.

Then, I loaded "1304.....Daylight". Make sure you are on course 270. I used Ahead 1/3 and made sure my rudder was 0. The sun azimuth has changed ever so slightly to 297. (2 degrees less than the 299 originally recorded.) Also, all of my waypoints have disappeared.

Then, I re-loaded the "1501.....Daylight". Sun azimuth 296. No waypoints.

Then, I loaded "1706.....Sunset". C270 Ahead 1/3. The sun azimuth is 296. There are no waypoints.

Then, I loaded "0001.....Midnight". C270 Ahead 1/3. The sun azimuth is 296.
There are no waypoints.

Then, I loaded "0615......Sunrise". C270 Ahead 1/3. The sun azimuth is 296.
There are no waypoints.

Then, I went back to "1304.....Daylight". C270 Ahead 1/3. Sun azimuth is 297. Still 2 degrees less than the original 299. There are no waypoints.

I did several more combinations of tests with the same results including loading "1304.....Daylight" Sun azimuth 299. Verified waypoints OK.
Then reloading the exact same "1304.....Daylight". Sun azimuth 297 and NO waypoints.

My conclusion is that whenever you load a second save game within a single session of Career play, that second save game's Celestial Sphere will revert to nearly the same position it was in at the start of your career upon leaving base, even though all of your save games, individually, load correctly the first time. My reloads were all sun azimuth of 296 - 297 regardless of the time of day that I had made the original save games. Sunrise, Sunset, Midday, Noon, Midnight etc. The missing waypoints upon reloading a save game is a BIG indicator that this is happening.

I really hope that you are all following this. It is important for FOTRSU.

Once again, as long as you are playing and making serial saves without loading a previous (or later) save game while in game, then all of your save games are probably OK. The best practice I can recommend until this problem is solved, is that whenever you wish to load a save game while playing FOTRSU.v* is to close SH4, reopen it, then load the save game.

I'm now going to check Single Mission play to see if this happens there as well.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".

Last edited by Front Runner; 01-10-19 at 10:20 AM.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote