View Single Post
Old 10-23-08, 02:18 PM   #4
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Default This is how great things begin!

Quote:
First thing we need is information. Information only you have at this point. I wasn't going to sign up with any particular unit, clan, whatever, until I could see how the multiplayer worked. Is it feasible for a good team effort? Upon your word sir, hangs the fate of subsim's ....
I've played MP a couple hours so far and it seems stable, the chat works well, and the game has an option for disabling the AI crew and external views, so you can play it for action or for realism. I have not had a chance to put together a team yet, since only a few people have the game.

Quote:
Well, that's another matter needing to be addressed. Do you want it to be called a tank sqd, plt. clan, keeping with the original nature of subsim, a flotilla? We need a name. A tank plt has 4 tanks IIRC. How many can get into the server at one time?
Man, I would really like to call it Tanksim something, since we own that name and that is Subsim's sister site and would really tie in well with Tanksim's past online gaming clans (Spearhead, Panzer Elite). Whether we plays a a squad or platoon, maybe our name should refect our group; Tanksim Warriors, or Tanksim Company.

The game allows for 16 players in Skirmish (deathmatch) and team mode. Let me quote from the game manual to give you a better picture:

Quote:

From the initial multiplayer screen, you can start
hosting multiplayer sessions or join an existing
game of either Skirmish or Team Modes, enter a
player’s name, choose a tank and assign it a turret
number. TvsT supports up to 16 players via Direct-
Play or GameSpy Arcade.

5.2.1 Skirmish (free for all)
From the initial MP screen, you can change the
Session name to a more descriptive one, as well
as changing the Frag limit and Time limit settings.
Using zero (0) for either of those enables unlimited
frags and/or unlimited session time, respectively.
The available number of ‘’Slots’’ depends on the
map-size: 4-player maps thus have 4 slots available,
8-player maps 8 slots, and so forth. Slot options
include ‘’Open’’, ‘’Bot’’ or ‘’Closed’’, allowing
you to add AI controlled tanks (Bots), close them
to limit the amount of players joining, or open them to allow players to join.

Expert Mode allows you to host a session forcing all clients to not have external views available.

Bot Difficulty allows you to set how challenging your AI opponents in Skirmish mode will be.

Clicking ‘’Create’’ will start a Skirmish sessions that others can join by browsing for it.
5.2.2 Team Mode (red team against blue team)
From the Team Mode screen you can set up and
launch team multiplayer sessions.
Options regarding Player name, Vehicle selection
and turret numbering, Session name, Frag and
Time limits, as well as managing available ‘’Slots’’
are the same as in Skirmish mode, however, there
are no ‘bots’ in Team Mode!

Upon creating a Team Mode game, you are moved
into the Team Mode’s lobby.
The lobby is for players to join Team Mode sessions. Here they can select their team (red or blue),
and tanks, and assign turret numbers independently from Skirmish mode.
There is also a chat window for players to communicate prior to launching the session.
Note:
A team game can only be launched when
all open slots are occupied with human players.
You can always go back one screen and adjust
slot availability according to available players
joining your game.

Note:
Since players are able to choose either the
T-34 or the Tiger for any team, it essential to know
each team member’s tactics and the location of
their tanks to avoid killing teammates. Good communication
within the team is the key!

Clicking ‘’
Start’’ will launch the Team game when all players have joined, placing all team members’

tanks near the rally point.

Quote:
Maybe Magnum can start a unit at simhq and we can have some friendly team matches.
yeah, that would definitely be fun!

Quote:
Oh yeah, are we dedicated to one side or the other? I understand void skins are included so custom skins are possible.
Dedicated, as in you can only play as a Tanksim guy. No, I would think it would be better to keep it casual and let people join in as they wish, but that could be decided by the players, not me.

I will ask the devs about custon skins. I do know you can choose your tank number in MP.

Good ideas, keep them coming!
Neal (aka PanzerMax)
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote