View Single Post
Old 10-31-05, 02:46 AM   #16
Bellman
Sea Lord

Downloads: 220
Uploads: 0

I wont press further on the SA and Hull/Conf issues........at present......But could I raise the subject of TA baffles
for your future consideration. Amizaur showed some interest in this topic in early August ?

Bellman
Quote:
I would have expected considerable degradation in the TA receptivity around the 180 deg arc
Amizaur
Quote:
Is TA coverage mearly 360 deg (without ownship sector) like in SC/DW or is it best tp the sides,
mediocre on other angles and worse at 180 deg ?
Rip. Real experience (not sonarman)
Quote:
There is a small null zone directly forward and aft of the
array, but it is very small.
Amizaur
Quote:
How big would be this very samall null zone of TA, 5 deg. or something ?
RIP
Quote:
My experience is 20 years old.......Assuming the array is straight and stabalised, 5 deg. sounds about right 10 at the most. Forwrd 20 deg. or so difficult to make contact in. As I recall the bearing error would be more apparent as you neared wash out speed .
So we have a TA null zone at the stern and 'possibly' a 20 deg (not 60 deg) prow null zone.

I think Fish also raised the point that TA droop could take ownship out of the picture. ( Depending on available depth, speed etc)
Ccould we consider any such TA reality adjustments as a trade-off against the increased rear Hull/Conf stern baffle proposed above ?

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
Bellman is offline   Reply With Quote