View Single Post
Old 08-20-20, 04:20 AM   #7
ArnoldR
Medic

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Icon14

Thank you for your comment. I like how you point out interesting details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Good job. The proportions look correct for a ship of 400+ feet long and 7100 GRT. The Liberties were large for their time, but small compared to modern merchants.
I made this model only with detailed technical plans (I even corrected some small errors on these plans...), so the ship's proportions are 100% accurate!

Quote:
And I like how you have the derricks all folded down. One of my HUGE pet peeves with merchant ship models in submarine games is that the derricks/cargo booms are always poking in every direction. In real life, WWII merchant ships almost kept the cargo handling gear fully up or fully down when they were at sea (to avoid damaging the gear or deck cargo). This has been confirmed by a WWII veteran convoy sailor who spoke to one of my favorite model makers.
Indeed, this is a detail that I took into account. I grabbed a lot of historical photographies of the ship, and I noticed that the booms are deployed only when the ship is docked in order to unload/load cargo. While at sea, the booms are resting down if the deck is clear, else they are in vertical position, attached to the mast in order to make space for extra cargo on the open deck. I plan to add the option to choose one of these 3 configurations.

Quote:
Hopefully the final version will have some smudges of rust & oil on the hull, just so it's not too factory fresh.
Yes, my screenshot is showing the model in Wings3D without any texture. I plan to create several textures with several levels of rust. I don't like clean textures. And rust on ships is in the direct spirit of SH3!!!!

But the bad point is that I'm not a texturer, and I don't think to be able to create nice textures myself...

Else, what do you think about the poly count: 66.000 triangles for now...?
ArnoldR is offline   Reply With Quote