View Single Post
Old 04-06-20, 08:36 AM   #4
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroMan View Post
Hi all - coming from the old 688 days, I had a great time.. But i just have the HARDEST time getting anything done in this game which ive owned for over a decade.

I get so dismayed that I just stop playing for a year, 2 or even 3 - then pick it up again and hit the same wall.

(can someone perhaps write down a short bullet list of initial things they do to track / confirm contacts? For me, i deploy the towed array about half way cos i usually cruise around 10kts unless its shallow or dangerous - then 5kts and a shorter array, super short if i need to be near the bottom).
Hello there. What are you cruising around in at 10 knots? Depends of course on your playing style (fast and nimble or slow and stealthy), but if you like slow and stealthy, 10 knots is pretty fast (again, depending on the boat - for an LA, it's too fast, for a Seawolf or Virginia, probably not). Most missions are set up with the enemies in the slow and stealthy mode, so they might be hearing you first. Also, are you playing with any mods?

For the towed array, I'd recommend putting it only about 25 - 33% deployed (unless you're doing fancy stuff like dipping it beneath the layer). You don't gain any more sensitivity past that point and it just takes longer for the towed to turn to your new course when you turn. And of course if you're on an American boat, make sure you're using the TB-23 in slow and stealthy situations (it's the starboard towed in the stock game).

Quote:
Then I do a turn to remove duplicate contacts - problem is assigning trackers gets soo confusing, i have to basically tma each contact (or match blades/narrowband/demon to confirm vessel and type)..
The bold face text here will come into play later. But looking at the broadband, you can tell which tracks are real and which are fake if you've already done some turns with the tracks on there.

Quote:
I have read all the stickies, guides i can possibly find. I also know the TMA method in 688 was incorrect and that took me a long time figure out.
What does this mean?

Quote:
Esp the multiple contacts on the broadband (i know i know, use narrow band) - but the broadband just have a longer range..
I have noticed this in my 688(I) Hunter/Killer youtube playthrough that the broadband has a further range than the narrowband for some reason. This is not true in Dangerous Waters or physically, even. Narrowband looks for specific frequencies which can be detected from much further away than the general noise of broadband. You should definitely be scanning for new contacts on the narrowband. The narrowband will also tell you what's a cruise ship or a trawler or a container ship - things you'd like to know the general location of but that you don't need to waste your time on doing TMA.

I hope this helps!

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote