View Single Post
Old 11-18-20, 01:01 PM   #675
VonDos
Admiral

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 49

Hi polyfiller, and thanks for your words =)
Well, i've rescaled a single unit, Zara, times ago, maybe someone can do the process faster and faster, but those are my notes, step by step:

- Phase 1 - easy -

0) Backup the original ship. All the folder. Always.
1) Open .dat file with 3ditor and export ALL 3D models in a new folder (inside ship's folder, or on your desktop, you can choose).
You can use "list" button and "3d model" for identify all of them in less time.
2) Open a 3d model, for example the main hull, with a 3d modelling software (wings3d, milkshape3d, maya... again, you can use your favorite one), and rescale it on all 3 axis (for example, if you've on scale axis "X=1.0, Y=1.0, Z=1.0", and you need to reduce to half the dimension, you'll insert "X=0.5, Y=0.5, Z=0.5").
3) Repeat this for every single model in your folder!
4) Import them into original dat with 3ditor; you'll found every object smaller but out of place, with, for example, rudder and propellers far from the ship,
floating into nothing! Why?

- Phase 2 - boring -

5) Why you say? Because you need to rescale also every "translation" coordinate (X, Y and Z) of every single node of the ship.
You can use "list" button and "nodes" for identify all of them in less time.
For example, if you had "Traslation: X:1 , Y:2, Z:4", you should insert "Translation: X:05, Y=1, Z=2". Don't change rotation data!
6) Test the ship ingame! If something appear in wrong place, verify the previous step for object out of place. If all is ok, you can sing "i've finished, all is done?" No .-.

- Phase 3 - why i'm really doing this? -

7) Open ship's .zon file also with 3ditor.
8) From ship's .dat file in 3ditor click on a node, go where you can see the model of the ship and push "toggle zones editor"(the green and blue button with a circle and a rectangle).
9) On the right, a "property tree" box will appear. Click on the main hull,open every sphere and every box. Have a good work rescaling all the coordinates of spheres and boxes. One by one.
10) Repeat step 9 for every other 3d object (funnels, masts, lifeboats... all of them!)
11) Test the ship. Try her in combat situations. Shoot her, verify if the fires are floating over the ship or come from inside her, for example. All is ok?

- Phase 4 - Enjoy yourself!

12) You've finished. Take a nap, a beer, or whatever you want!

Hope this will help!
If you've answers, i'm here
Best regards,
Vd

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfiller View Post
VonDos - amazing to see you are still active on here and working on your amazing models. I've just returned to working on the total surface warfare mod and I used to know how to resize a ship .... but I've complete forgotten. I need to reduce the size of the Ops Monsoon Richleiu class (because the model is actually a DunkerQue ... just it's too big. I did this to some other models in the past (probably 8 years ago, maybe longer) ... I cant for the life of me remember how.

Those, others and WIP ships are avaiable in my SHIPYARD here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=136508
VonDos is online   Reply With Quote