View Single Post
Old 01-10-22, 07:05 PM   #11
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I beg to differ with you guys. I think the game's USDiveBomber isn't half-bad as the SBD2 Dauntless. My evidence:

The Helldiver:

Looks more like a Kingfisher with a bigger engine and the wings back a bit, to me

Lotsa glass to cook the occupants in the cockpit

The "Bermuda"

The "Buccaneer"

Basically the same plane for the UK and the US versions. They were only manufactured 1942-1944. There had to be a reason for that...

... and the graceful Dauntless

and in FotRSU:

The Dauntless could do the 80 degree dives and not have to worry about its wings ripping off when trying to pull-out after the bomb release...

The game's model might not have the wing angle quite right, and no hare brakes...

Thanks for the pictures.

I read the Buccaneer/Bermuda was underpowered and did not handle well, was also told this by someone who flew it briefly during the war. There was one hanging from the ceiling at the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola at one point and the tour guide (who flew Helldivers most of the war) stated flew the Buccaneer in training and he had no kind words about the aircraft. Funny though, he spoke highly of the Helldiver. I have always disliked the bad or mixed rep the SB2C gets, believe the earlier models, first ones to see action had problems but it grew into a excellent aircraft.

The Dauntless in the sim is not perfect but it at least resembles the SBD.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote