View Single Post
Old 10-03-09, 08:47 AM   #31
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffysheap View Post
I'd probably get XP and then upgrade to Windows 7 later. Everybody hates Vista although, in reality, Windows 7 is not going to be that different. Unless you have some DX10 thing you want to use right now though, there's no good reason to get Vista. You can still find XP and OEM versions of XP are pretty cheap.
I actually have an OEM version of XP but it came with my old Alienware. I assume that if I try to install it on my new PC then something will go tits up?

Quote:
640GB is a small drive by today's standards, but it depends on what you do. I have 3TB total but then, I also use my PC as a media server. A friend of mine has 500GB and only does games and the web and his drive is still half empty. If you mostly care about games 640GB will be OK.
Trust me, I will never get anywhere near 640Gb. I don't store music or videos on my PC, I just use it for work and games, and I tend to play only a few games at any given time. My old HDD is a 70Gb drive and I rarely used more than two thirds of it.

Quote:
It's hard to upgrade RAM nowadays... it's not like the old days where you could just stick in more RAM and have it work. Now all the RAM in a system has to "match"...
That's not actually new. 9 years ago I upgraded the RAM in a system of mine and was told back then that I had to match the current RAM exactly (manufacturer and everything) so I did. It's not a big problem IMO as long as you know exactly what kind of RAM you have.

Quote:
...but if you want to do something like leave your web browser open with a couple dozen tabs while you play...

I find the very suggestion of such behaviour to be horrifying! Seriously, I do not do that. I hate stutter in games and will close everything (even system services) to ensure a smooth game. That's a long-time habit and not likely to change. So, from what you say it sounds like I'll be good with 2Gb.

Quote:
One last thing, be sure to get a good power supply...
LOL, we x-posted on that methinks