View Single Post
Old 08-19-18, 07:52 PM   #13
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

I almost returned it....

It list resolutions (in the system settings which are pulled from the TV), from 320x180, up to 1920x1080.

I have to scroll through 4 "pages" of resolutions to get from the top of the list, to the bottom...

When I tried to run Mass Effect, it was telling me that the resolution that the sytem switched to when I ran the game was "not supported".
HDMI1 also list something else on the input, so I change to HDMI-2 (yes, I turned everything off first).

I then tried running SH3. 1024x768, worked great.
So just for kicks, I changed the desktop resolution to 720P... "not supported".

OK, FINE. So you support a 4:3 AR resolution, but not a slightly lower 16:9?
So I tried again to run Mass effect again, "not supported".

I reset Mass Effect to 1920x1080 with the setup program, and it runs (and looks better than Mass Effect 3 does on the Xbox 360!), WOHOO!
So I try to run Fallout 2 (yes -2-, TWO) and it switches to 640x960, then goes blank, and then "not supported"...

Now I'm rather unhappy...
And Fallout 2 is supposed to be 640x480, so something is up...

The only thing I can think of at this point is getting the GPU to "scale up" to 1920x1080 so that we remove the TV as a potential problem.

After some digging I was able to find the command to force all output to "scale up".
I tested it with SH3, since I know that resolution works, and it only takes be about 20 seconds to get to the menu with GWX...

And I was able to get it to "scale" to the vertical resolution, while keeping the original 4:3 aspect ratio.

Other options are "Center", which puts it in the middle of the screen, and "Full" to scale it up to the full 1920x1080, but that makes everything appear stretched (Similar to how my Win XP install did when I played it the first time).

So I thought I would update this, just in case anyone was thinking about getting one of these.

The Windows driver for AMD has the options, as does -according to post on the net- Nvidia.
Linux uses "xrandr" to control that. Separate from the driver, and works with all card types (based on what I've read).

Link: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...isplay_scaling
Covers the "xrandr" command under amdgpu, but applies to all.
It might moved from the page linked in the future.

Other than this limited number of functional resolutions (dispite what the EDID says it supports), I'm liking it so far.

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote