View Single Post
Old 01-19-21, 07:53 AM   #12
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

No worries mate, happy to help.

Quote:
One thing though, my skills are sorely lacking is in combat against anything other than harmless and mostly harmess light fighters. I am aware of Flight Assist Off but that's a beast that needs tons of time and practice to get down. Not sure if my X-52 pro and rudder pedals will be enough for that in heavy combat.
I think the X-52 should be plenty of stick. Some play this game with gamepads and some even use KB & M, which is actually great with FA off and fixed weapons. But a better stick is a good idea too if the budget allows. I use a Evenstrain titanium Cougar. I've been using this stick since 2002 lol. I was mostly a Falcon 4 player through the years and it's a great stick for that of course, but it's also great in Elite. For me Track IR is a must too. That, or VR.

Here's a tip that few seem to know of. Shifted commands. A shifted button is one that, when held down, tells the program to use a different command when any button is used, while the shift button is also used. You want to make it a button that is comfortable to reach and hold. Do not assign any command to it. Map your stick as normal, skipping the shift button in the controls section of ED.

Now you are free to assign an entire new set of commands to those same buttons, but when doing so hold the shift button down when assigning the new command in the mapping section. On my stick for example the shift button is S1 (the "pinky" button on the back side and bottom of the stick handle). So a shifted command will show something like Landing Gear = S1 + R2. R2 could therefore be set to toggle nightvision to pick an example, and S1 + R2 is landing gear.

In this way you can nearly double your stick/throttle commands. I say nearly, because you are assigning nothing to the shift button (twice)

I can't know what you're already aware of so forgive me if I'm covering old ground. But as you start to build ships I recommend using one of the third party build sites, like Coriolis or EDSY. These allow you to test build your ships, see what's what, before you go through the process. It can save a lot of trial and error or mistakes. And once you begin engineering (if you have not already) it's even better as you can see the ship before you spend the engineering materials. If you have not seen it, this is the one I use called Coriolis. This is what it looks like, showing my combat Krait II\

Poison Whiskey Krait II -- Combat Sweeper / Scout Sniper

You can swap modules and mods in this app to test your build to give you a plan. Immensely useful.

Last edited by Threadfin; 01-19-21 at 09:14 AM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote