View Single Post
Old 01-18-21, 02:45 PM   #10
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

I have 1,500 hours in Elite, and happy to answer any questions if they arise.

For Thargoid combat you need a special build, specific equipment. the NHSS are Thargoids, and their caustic goo is a pain in the rear. AX weapons and decontamination limpets are highly recommended if you're out to hunt the bugs. You just stumbled in to it this time, but if you want to make an activity out of bug hunting you want to tailor your ship to it.

You asked for tips. A this stage you just want to hang around the starter area until you feel proficient, and then get out. It's neat idea, this zone, and you should take advantage. It did not exist when I started several years ago, and by all accounts it's pretty neat. But module availability there is very limited, so once you feel ready, cast those lines and leave the noob zone to open Elite up.

General tips I would offer are

-- Get a ship goal. identify the next ship you want to buy and make it your goal. Goals in Elite are gold.

-- Don't rush the big boats. So many new players set their sights on Cutters and Condas and grind them out and miss so much of what's great about the small ships. I only own one large pad ship, an Orca, which is really a medium at heart. If you like the big ships then go for it. But don't ignore the others. Like I'm mostly a Krait and Courier commander. I used to have a big fleet, but I set a ten-ship fleet limit, sold the rest and four are Kraits!

-- Don't grind. Seriously. So many new players -- and old players too -- fall in to this trap. As soon as you grow bored of what you're doing, do something else. There is lots to do. Don't burn yourself out.

-- Use third party sites. I couldn't have gotten to where I am without them. EDMC, EDSM, Inara, EDDB are the main ones I use. Inara is the single most useful third party site I've ever used for any game.

-- Look in to engineering. It's a bit of a rabbit hole, but the difference between a well-engineered ship and one without is like night and day. All of my ships are fully engineered. It isn't necessary in PvE aside from Combat Zones. But making your ship hit harder, fly faster, jump farther and have better protection is worth the time.

Last edited by Threadfin; 01-22-21 at 10:39 AM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote