View Single Post
Old 01-02-21, 07:03 PM   #20
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzberger View Post
I'm thinking from now on I will only give medals through the game since it seems more stingy. Where do you stand on qualifications? I have done some research on it (opinions) and my overall conclusion is that all men should have some sort of qualification. I have no concrete testing but it seems the more medals or a certain amount of medals leads to no fatigue.
In real life, yes, all officers/petty officers had some sort of qualification. But to me this is one of those times when plugging in something to simulate reality would not work in the game design so I only do one such qual at a time.
I.e., as you've discovered awards, etc. affect how the crew functions.

However, I do give each sailor (seaman, rating, whatever) a qual but that is just for "bookkeeping" help as it makes it easier to keep track of who belongs where. Ordinary sailors do not benefit from a qualification so it doesn't matter in that regard that they have one.
I.e., each motor room sailor has a machinist rating, each watch has a watch rating, etc. derstrosstrupp did some excellent work in this regard recently, look for his thread.

Also be sure to read the section in SH3 Commander about qualifications, etc. Makes it clearer.