View Single Post
Old 08-12-20, 10:20 PM   #15
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Downloads: 288
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
An actual design built ice cream machine? No. What the fleet boats did have was a dehumidifier to help with the high humidity of the Pacific environment. Bubbleheads are an enterprising group, and so with a little knowledge added a bonus feature to the dehumidifier. Complete with machine oil and the occasional metal shavings. Was it officially authorized? No. Was anybody going to stop us if they found out? Also no.

Good ol' American ingenuity. Just like the line by Elliot Gould in the movie 'A Bridge Too Far' from 1977.

My other favorite line from that movie is from Robert Redford.
"You're just going to sit there and... drink tea?!?!?!"

And then the whole scene with James Caan where he holds that surgeon at gun point so he looks at his buddy with the head wound, and then latter gets placed under arrest by that same surgeon... for 10 seconds.

Great movie. Now I have to go watch it.

I have heard or read what the old timer Bubbleheads say that on the boat what a civilian would have called an air conditioner was actually just a glorified dehumidifier, and that it was designed not tho keep the crew nice and cool, but rather to keep all the electronics for the radio, sonar, radar and, TDC dry so as to not short out.

I have one last question that you might know the answer to. In WWII when a sub skipper would record the tonnage of a ship he sunk did that number represent just the estimated weight of the cargo on board the ship, or did it represent the weight of the cargo AND the weight of the boat it was on added together?

I think I may have a nack for asking obscure and very detail oriented questions.

-StealthRabbit