View Single Post
Old 10-15-19, 09:44 AM   #43
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Quote:
1. Air battle in CT05. I had no choice. Chinese...
If Chinese works bad for your mission concept, you should change nation. Especially if all previous missions were on opposite side of globe.

Can you imagine some youtuber make "let's play" from your mission. For example in 40 minutes parts?
Part 1 - big air battle but player cannot see it so: nothing happenes (for him)
Part 2 - nothing happenes
Part 3 - nothing happenes
Part 8 - 50 Hz detected
Part 9 - Song killed
Part 10 - nothing happenes
part 22 - player arrived to his "patrol area" and.. no enemy there because all hostiles were killed in part 15 by AI but player didn't notice it
Part 23 - Mission END + watching replay

I think this "youtuber" will lost many subscribers

The same with TLAM strike mission. A difference is - in Part 7 player detect alone Osa II class patrol boat in the middle of nowhere
In my opinion this big determination (spending hours of game in transit) should be awarded by something more exciting than "tiny fish".

The truth is - these missions are boring to play, even if around something big happenes (like big air battle). You should make single missions more challenging. Even identification of correct target can be exciting. But in your biggest battle mission, player knows that everything he will find will be enemy and he haven't chance to defend CVN group.

Checking missions of other designers will teach you abut making correct distances. I can help you with triggers but please, don't make dozens of missions only because you said "i make campaign with 22 missions". Not always large numbers of missions means campaign is good.

Ohio trilogy - campaign with only 3 missions (and first is about transit) but this small campaign is very exciting to play. What you do in first mission, will have consequences in next missions. Playing this campaign was good experience and i recorded it 2 times - normal and aggressive playing.

In MP sessions best feeling is when some amount of time nothing happenes - game runs seemingly slow. But truth is - all players are preparing to big culmination. And suddenly all becomes "HOT" and very dangerous. This gives players constantly increased tension.
When you are in transit for 2 hours only increasing feeling is boring.
And after reaching destination your task is to go to max depth with max speed. Im sure most of players did it few times without any mission - just for fun.

So my advice. Please make mission with time limit 2-3 hours with some interesting events, with something challenging and dangerous for player. Dangerous would be not only strong opponent. It could be pressure for attacking correct target hiding between civilian ships. Or it could be tracking enemy battle group while you are waiting for order to attack and time for reciving "open fire" message is random.
There is so many ideas for good missions - barrier is only our imagination.