View Single Post
Old 03-20-21, 07:24 PM   #30
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Let's look at the 3D objects stored in a gr2 file.
Verts, normals, textures, etc ALWAYS have the same count.
Faces are totally separate from that.

So here's the magic and simplicity.
We can match the verts and such by just copying existing verts or whatever and pasting so each has the same count.

500 texture points? Make sure verts is 500 etc.

The Faces will ONLY USE what they call!
Thus no loading of the extra duplicate information!
So I can have 500 verts and textures, etc BUT the faces say only render 100!

Don't believe me?
Export a mesh from a GR2, open it in any 3D program then save it.
If your program optimizes an obj file? Compare them in notepad or any other text reader.
One of the biggest problems I had in the past, was matching vertex order in the main and uv2 meshes. There is a bunch of reasons why various obj exporters might change that order, but the final result is the same: after importing in GR2 Editor, the AO mapping is messed up even though the two imported objects are apparently identical in their vertex/face structure.

In theory, if all the vertices in an object had different coordinates, we could easily create a tool which will automatically sort uv-2's vertices according to main object's template. The problem is that, after edge-splitting hard edges (for correct smoothing in game), most import candidates will have a lot of duplicated vertices with identical xyz and uv coordinates, but placed on different meshes. Making our tool to automatically discern them wouldn't be that easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
You will need to find a GR2 with as close a count as possible but ALWAYS higher then your adjusted files.

You will still get a smaller ending GR2 then loose import will ever give you!

Remember this point!
Say you find a nice GR2 but it just has to many parts.
We can use the loose import to shrink them to nothing thus reducing the size even more!
If I got you correctly, the above criterion should be applied not only to the main object, but also to all the subparts. Finding a GR2 file which will match the requirements for all the model parts, or shrinking all the parts in our models so that they won't exceed the vert count of the GR2 template they will be imported in, might be a little PITA, but I definitely see the advantages of your program and of the working method you are suggesting
gap is offline   Reply With Quote