View Single Post
Old 04-27-09, 08:25 PM   #1
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280
Uploads: 0
A little Tank sim rant...

It's too bad tanksims are spread thin like butter, wouldn't it be a little nicer if people would give the games a chance? Steel Fury is one of the best tanksims out there (when it doesn't crash for me) if that game got more marketing (trust me, I know money constraints and the like) there wouldn't be a torrential flood of people dying to get the game, they aren't Crysis or Halo 3, but still, there is probably a larger tanksim fanbase over here in america (who doesn't love drving scorpions on Halo ) but people won't realise it yet until they TRY. My friend Colin resented U-boats until he saw me playing SH3, now, he and I can have intelligible conversations about attacking convoys and the like, because he plays it too.
think of a similar situation. but with tanksims.
one Army tanker comes back from training in Ft. Knox, he buys SBP PE, and he plays it by himself. One day, he invites a friend over and his friend sees him playing SBP PE to keep up with training. WHAM!
his friend just went out and bought SBP. now you got 2, and I'm sure the Tanker has more than one friend, so there you go, more people at least slightly interested in tank simmming. their friends get interested, as do their friends, now you have a few hundred people playing one tanksim. once you play one, you want to play more. Now the tanker's friend has TvT, Steeel Fury, and he found out he played Panzer Commander as a kid.
you can see how this would happen. but more games have to get to more people who like them, plain and simple. I think it's really friggin awesome that these countries in europe are trying to jumpstart the genre (steel fury, tvt, T-72 BoF, etc.) but we need to get our (american) technological might and throw a punch at this tank simming thing... advertise the living hell outta it, hype it up, and release a relatively dynamic, hopeful game (heres where a tom clancy label would come in handy)

EDIT: note to admins, im not sure what position you have on using "that sucked" but I didn't realise my grammar until after I posted the thread. sorry!
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!