View Single Post
Old 11-07-07, 12:09 PM   #755
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Yup Linton, I've seen many comments that Ward was a bit of a Bulsh*tter, and he clearly rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way too (not unlike Douglas Bader in that respect, i.e. a very vocal and visible face of a conflict, and therefore one that attracts praise and derision too in large quantities).

I tend to balance the detractor's views with his and it seems to give a reasonable point of view if you come to your own conclusion somewhere between the two. I'd never take one person's view of such matters as Gospel, but there is no denying Ward's achievements (among others) who were in the Falklands, and regardless of this, his book does explain dogfighting well in layman's terms, which was the main reason for a recommendation here. For another Fleet Air Arm Harrier memoir to balance things out - which is also a good read - No Escape Zone by Lt Cmdr Nick Richardson is worth a look, This has quite a bit of detail in it about attempts to spoof the MiG-29's doppler radar with vertical moves, in the hope to reduce doppler shift and blind the radar. Didn't stop him getting shot down over Gorazde in Bosnia which, along with his escape and evasion is mostly what the book covers. Definitely worth a look too.

Chock