View Single Post
Old 04-29-21, 01:02 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Dumb enemy aircraft behavior

I have probably never noticed this since I dive for planes or believe they are far enough and not closing, will turn my stern to them to present low profile and slow to a crawl, works well, esp if a light haze in the sky.

However, twice on this patrol (August 1943 Dunkers Derp Area) have noticed dumb behavior from planes.

Scenario 1... While en route from Pearl (I added airbases to Wake and Marcus Island for for first part of war they are real concerns, later in war, reflecting the repeated carrier raids which essentially destroyed their viability as airbases, may see a sporadic patrol plane but nothing like 41-early 44) I was on surface in day time when SD reported a contact at just 6 miles. Ordered a dive, as was going under could see plane diving, as we passed 100 feet, expected explosions nope, nothing. Then about three minutes later a number of explosions not close. I had the external camera off so not sure.

Scenario 2... After two straight days of combat and two long, drawn out( 7 and 9 hours respectively) depth charge attacks, crew was exhausted and had some damage needed repaired so headed to east area of Dunkers Derp away from the likely shipping lanes. After an all day dive, repairs completed, crew rested, surfaced into the dark . At 2346 SD made contact at 8 miles, it was dark and semi cloudy so presented stern and observed from aft end of conning tower. Suddenly contact was closing range, spotted us or has radar. Would likely catch us if tried to dive, so ordered AA guns manned.

AA guns banged away as a flying boat dove out of the night sky, appeared to be an EMILY. Gave hard rudder to port, plane pulled out of dive, dropped no bombs. Ordered a crash dive. As passed 91 feet, explosions, but not close.

So issue is why do they do these silly dry runs? Really eliminates the effectiveness of patrol aircraft because once sub has time to submerge odds of doing any damage are quite low.

Is there a fix? I am surprised because TMO planes are usually quite on their game overall.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote