Old 08-03-10, 08:53 PM   #1416
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPNZ View Post
Hi ZW and others,

I have been reading this topic for a long time with interest.
What you have been able to acheive in a relatively short time is truely incredible.

I'm sorry I haven't read every page of this topic but I assume you have mastered the combat physics of the game?
I am especially interested in how the game models ballistics & armor penetration.

After spending many years studying armored warfare and coming up with more realistic? weapons stats for Panzer Commander (personal use only),
I am interested in how T vs T uses the various values.
Having looked over the script files and put together a modified set of armor/penetration values for the default models, I was very interested in a simple explanation as to how the game uses them.

I don't want to divert your valuable time but is armor thickness/shell diameter ratio (T/D ratio) modelled to adjust penetration? I assumed it wasn't as I haven't seen a value for projectile calibre.

I came across this page recently and found it to be a very good summary on many of the issues involved:
http://www.spwaw.com/lholttg/penetration.htm
Obviously you can only work within what is possible coding wise.

Have you got armor/ballistic data you are satisfied with for the new models you are introducing into your Kursk campaign?
If I could be of help at all, you have only to ask.

I plan to contribute to your worthwhile project shortly. The only reason I haven't yet is I've been busy with a new job in a new town after being made redundant.

I have also had a long term involvement in the continuing development of European Air War, a classic 10 year old air combat game.

All the best
Brian Purcell
New Zealand
Welcome aboard BPNZ
Thanks for the compliments mate, it's be allot of work. But I love it man
The T/D ratio is not used. What is though is simply distance/penetration
variables with random modifiers for a degree of failure. However there is
certainly room for improvement and refinement too. My biggest gripe is
the round is depleted at what ever it hits. So if for example: If a Tiger
AP round hits the fender of a truck the round dose not continue through
the truck and out the other side and blast through a house and finally hit
something that should actually stop it. And of course that means no ricochet neither.
Although I do want to explore these issues to their fullest possibilities
where I could at least shot through a house and kill a tank.

Thanks for your help offer Brian and stick around you will be glad you did

ZeeWolf
ZeeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote