View Single Post
Old 11-12-18, 10:43 PM   #64
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

After a bit of prompting, I'm posting some pics of where I now live. It's got a reputation for being dangerous, but if you go looking for trouble you'll find it, whereas if you're sensible you can avoid trouble and have a good time.

Good old Kings Cross - the old ( now just a memory ) red light district of Sydney Australia.

Juanita Nielsen's house. The poor girl was a community activist opposed to the indiscriminant ( my spelling's not the best ) development on Victoria Street, she was also quite wealthy and influential.........she made some enemies......and "disappeared".

The iconic Coca Cola sign in it's latest incarnation. Back in the 80s it used to put on a 15 min strobeing display - all sorts of different patterns, at nighttime. It was great to watch.

Looking down William Street towards Sydney CBD. It used to be thronged with hookers late at night in the 80s. I lived in a small apartment block where the billboard is now. Only 8 units, noisy as hell. A guy that lived on the first floor was a chef at the Centrepoint tower and every Sunday he'd lay on a meal for everyone in the building ( free just bring beer ). Mustapha, Moroccan guy, top bloke.

Kellett Street. Back in 1984 we had an axe murderer. He killed 2 people in one week and a week later he was attacking his third victim when the "victim" turned on him and gave him such a hiding that he was glad when the cops arrived and saved him from being beaten to death.

Said "victim" received a bravery award. Richly deserved.

Where the old "Astoria" restaurant used to be. Everybody ate there, the food was excellent and cheap - $2 t bone steak and chips, big bowl of home cooked delicious soup with bread roll 40 cents. A Greek family ran it. The Staff from the Bourbon and Beefsteak across the road used to eat there much to the chagrin of their bosses.

Now the site is a pokey little cafe much frequented by poseurs.

What's left of the Famous "Bourbon and Beefsteak", an iconic restaurant much frequented by R & R troops during the Vietnam War. The owner, an American, Bernie Houghton loved the place and really doted on it. He died and a wealthy Chinese gent bought it and completely changed everything about it.

The famous "El Alamein" fountain. Our ratbag city council wanted to get rid of it but there was such public outrage that after a long legal battle we kept the fountain.

One of the local Sacred Ibises, nice guys , I feed them whenever I get a chance.

The old "Sweethearts" building. "Sweethearts" was open 24/7, never closed, when every other place had shut for the night you could always go along to "Sweethearts" for a coffee/light meal whatever. Nice Cafe/Restaurant.

Back in '86 in a matter of a couple of weeks, there were 2 very public murders in the place - full of customers each time. And "Sweethearts" closed. Now the building is a doss house for backpackers. Very Sad.

Quite a long post but I hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by Eisenwurst; 08-18-20 at 12:43 AM.
Eisenwurst is offline   Reply With Quote