View Single Post
Old 02-27-23, 03:24 AM   #7
Hooston
Soundman

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default Real recognition manual

There's a real US navy recognition manual on the web here: https://archive.hnsa.org/doc/id/oni2...hips/pg135.htm There are a LOT of pages! The big differences between claims and actual tonnages show that U-boat captains were not very good at identifying merchants. My understanding from this forum is that the stadimeter was deleted from U boats quite early in the war, presumably because it was not all that useful in practice.

i have seen plots used in real life to aid an attack, most famously the sinking of U-864 by HMS Venturer; it's just the accuracy of the ranges (and even bearings) from the game watch officer are way too good, even with the HSie mod. It would be nice to have some properly rubbish ranges dependent on the watch officer's ability.

i suppose making the manual too dark to read at night is going a bit far, the realism fanatics (like me) can always choose to not look at it. It's a bit like choosing whether to ask the watch officer for range and bearing or to identify a target, or locking on to targets you cannot actually see... i guess it's a bug.

Last edited by Hooston; 02-27-23 at 05:11 AM.
Hooston is offline   Reply With Quote