View Single Post
Old 09-09-16, 07:58 AM   #19
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

That's why you first plot the target track (course) on the nav map and then use the protractor to get the AoB. You can also enter the course directly into the TDC by using the outer set of numbers opposite the bow of the target. That's a multi-step process, but a pretty quick one.

But the AoB has nothing at all to do with your course. I'm away from all my graphics wizardry so I'll have to describe what's going on here. The angle on the bow is your sub's bearing in German nomenclature (starboard/port zero to 180 degrees). Your bearing does NOT CHANGE based on what course you are on, any more than a target's bearing changes when measured from your sub depending on its course.

I don't know where the commonly believed fallacy of AoB being dependent on your course came from, but it's dead wrong. It doesn't matter whether you enter course or A0B into the TDC--they are different ways of measuring the exact same quantity regardless of your sub's course. If your PK is on before you enter AoB, changes in sub position will change that AoB but will not change enemy course in the TDC. If the PK is off it doesn't change and is instantly wrong if you move.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote