View Single Post
Old 04-02-17, 03:41 PM   #25
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Thanks for the heads up, looking at those files is a nightmare, I will wait till I know a lot more.
I now want to install Wine for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, I got the Ubuntu Software Center to search and it seems to only come up with a development version 1.9.6. Should I install this?
I could just download it from firefox but again not sure of a suitable version.

Should I install version 2.0 this way:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ricotz/unstable
sudo apt update (I don't have a previous version, is this needed?)
sudo apt install wine2.0
Sorry, I missed this post. No, I wouldn't install it that way.

I'd use the same rules I use for installing software in Windows, plus hooking repositories into Ubuntu Software and Synaptic Package Manager whenever possible. That way Software Update will update these programs every time it runs and you never have to look for the latest version again. Always go direct to the source group that makes the program. Then hook their repositories to Ubuntu so you can just download them in Ubuntu Software or Synaptic Package Manager.

The place to get WINE stuff is Winehq. Go to this page and follow instructions:
Quote:
If you have previously installed a Wine package from another repository, please remove it and any packages that depend on it (e.g., wine-mono, wine-gecko, winetricks) before attempting to install the WineHQ packages, as they may cause dependency conflicts.

If your system is 64 bit, enable 32 bit architecture (if you haven't already):

Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
Add the repository:

Code:
wget https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
sudo apt-key add Release.key
sudo apt-add-repository https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/
Update packages:

Code:
sudo apt-get update
Then install one of the following packages:

Stable branch
Code:
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-stable
Development branch
Code:
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-devel
Staging branch
Code:
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-staging
Actually, once you get to "sudo apt-get update" after you do that you can search for and install the latest WINE from Ubuntu Software or Synaptic because you've integrated the download process into the operating system itself with that last command. I went for the development branch and have never been sorry I did.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote