Thread: Base Time 2018
View Single Post
Old 08-10-19, 06:23 AM   #87
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Uploads: 0
Default Interesting new issue regarding sync rate

OK. I recently upgraded my graphics adapter from a GTX 780 to a GTX 1660.
With the GTX 780 and FOTRSUv.90, I was able to set the Nvidia Profile Inspector setting to 1/2 refresh rate using the SH4 in game graphics setting to 1920x1080@60HZ, using my new monitor. It worked and I had the 30fps.

However, after upgrading to the GTX 1660 and trying all sorts of settings in Nvidia Profile Inspector, I was unable to get the refresh rate to matter at all.
I did some research and found a post somewhere that mentioned this issue. Their solution was to do a re-boot of the machine before starting their game.
I tried that as well with no change in my situation.

Now, the goal is to get to approximately 30 fps in order to have the Celestial Sphere stay somewhat accurate during 1x play. If you do not spend a lot of time at 1x, then this issue is not applicable. I spend hours, sometimes days at 1x play.

The way I've solved this for the time being is to set my GTX 1660 to my native monitor settings, 1920x1080@144HZ and then setting Nvidia Profile Inspector settings to limit frame rate to ~36 fps, that is 1/4 of the native monitor refresh rate. These settings work for me as I have very good game play and it's close enough to 30 fps so as to not screw up my day/night cycles too much over days of 1x play.

Formerly, with the GTX 780 and the very old Dell Monitor 2407 WFP, I played at 1920x1200@60HZ using 1/2 refresh rate for the 30 fps.
Now, I'm using the GTX 1660 and my new ASUS VG248 (144HZ 1ms) with frame rate limited to ~36 fps.

I hope this helps the very few of us that play at 1x for extended time.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote