View Single Post
Old 07-09-20, 11:39 AM   #1
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Default Shading/biasing for orange paint?

I've been puttering with a 1/18th scale die-cast Porsche painted in a factory color of Lava Orange. Since its a newer Auto Art release, the paint work is good but it came out pretty heavy around the fill door for the gas cap (on the right-front fender).

I've been able to carefully scribe out the extra thick paint in the recesses around the filler door and I tracked down some authentic orange paint to match the body, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried to shade or bias orange paint, and what did you use?

I've tried some shades of darker orange and mixed some darker shades of orange-brown and orange-red but the shading doesn't look right. I'm thinking of trying a fresh coat of Lava Orange in the recess area then adding some thinned down Tamiya "clear smoke" and/or "turn signal amber" to give the recess a little more definition (darker but just slightly).

Anyone have a better idea? Lava Orange is a tricky shade. Its mostly a bright orange but also has a "creamsickle" white-ish quality to it.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote