Old 11-18-19, 07:52 AM   #18
stellaferox
Soundman

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanders View Post
Hi everyone!

I just did some data collection with the hydrophone in tutorial mode (where you can se the other ships distance and bearing on the map).
I focused the hydrophone in the exact vector to the target, then I turned the gain knob to the point that the sound turned into distorsion. At that point I collected the distance of the target from the map.

I plotted the data in google sheets and found out that the relationship between the gain and the distance is linear.
Thats quite strange btw, because the sound preassure should decrease with the square of the distance.

One more thing that was a bit strange is that gain level of 2 seems to be the limit. There was no point lowering the gain below 2 -no matter how close i got to the target.

Anyway,

from the data colleced i managed to make a trendline/regression curve of the plot. In my website below you can download the pdf of the diagram i did and use if you want!

Of course this could be done with more precision, but i think its a good diagram to use for rough estimations!

www.gnomon.se
Hi Fanders,

Would you mind sharing the mathematical equation resulting in that line? From the graph I get something like Y = 5555.55 * X - 10833.33 (meter) right? Or in hm Y = 55.55 * X - 108.33
stellaferox is offline   Reply With Quote