View Single Post
Old 05-06-22, 11:30 AM   #23
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

The final product.

Added the masts and scopes, last decals, and clear-coat flat clear.

Pretty happy with the result, it could be better but this is my practice model, I have another Akula to try and do better.

Now it's safe and secure from my bumbling mitts in my bookcase. I feel so relieved!

Defects
Somehow I got a small, matchhead-size black blemish on the red hull of the show side. Don't know where that came from cuz the primer was gray... I tried to mix a matching blend of paint, it didn't match, so I sanded it out and in the process managed to make the blemish 5x bigger. I mixed another blend, still did not match but decided enough was enough and settled.

The decals on the show side came out ok but the curving decal across the bow is noticeably lower on the no side that the show side. I didn't have the nerve to keep making adjustments so I got the show side set and moved on.

One of the front masts was misaligned and I experimented with heating up a metal mini-tool to soften the mast and allow me to bend it slightly. Got the tool too hot and almost melted clear through the mast! Stopped just in time.

One of the masts broke and I had to cement it back together, that was tricky.

As I said before, the PE hatches are a mess. Hopefully I can do better next time.

Lessons learned
Wash and clean the hull before priming.
Use Tamiya masking tape.
Use a different glue for PE parts.
Make damn sure I have plenty of hull paint left over for tough ups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40d.jpg (87.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 40a.jpg (87.3 KB, 11 views)