View Single Post
Old 09-11-22, 03:24 PM   #1181
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I figured the Dutchman was riding higher in the water because ghost wood is lighter then real wood because of the ectoplasm content... or something like that.

If in the future SH-4 ends up as abandon-ware<sp?> somehow and all the MODers finally get a “look behind the curtain”, do you imagine it will go threw a whole new round of more in depth and extensive MODing? The things that could be done... just imagine...

I guess the answer to that would depend on when it will finally go abandon-ware. And also if in the meantime a new WWII U.S. sub sim where to come out that could replace, or even just compete with SH-4, then that would negate the need to extend its life even further.

It never ceases to amaze me how many German U-Boat WWII sims there are, and how few WWII U.S. submarines in the Pacific sims there are. Why is that I wonder? I am sure the U-Boat sims are great and all, but I just can't get into them. U.S. subs in the Pacific on the other hand, I have been playing SH-4 almost non-stop (because of all the wonderful MODs) since 2010. The first WWII U.S. Sub sim I played was Silent Service on the Commodore 64... about 1,000 years ago.

As always, thank you for your time.
-StealthRabbit

Well once it becomes abandonware, I do believe there will be a new cycle of modding, esp to fix things we can't fix currently by "normal" modding. However, doubt it will be as prolific as would have been say five or ten years ago. I look forward to the day.

Why there are more U Boat sims than fleetboats? I would say primary reason stems from the WW II era itself. Everyone knew about U Boat threat from both Allied and German propaganda, and it was seared into the collective consciousness of the known world. On the other hand, US Submarine Service was and remains mostly the "Silent Service" , they received relatively little coverage, promotion, and propaganda compared to U Boats, so not seared in the way U Boats are. Movies like Das Boot, countless documentaries etc have also contributed to this.
With this, there is a (perceived anyways) default larger market for U Boats, especially outside the US.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote