View Single Post
Old 05-16-21, 10:25 AM   #3
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247
Uploads: 0

So, realism is a mixed bag.

Can I ID a ship by flipping through the rec manual, snap a set of range/bearing points, and determine course and speed to line up a good solution? Yes I can.

In real life, there would be multiple crew members to assist. In real life, you'd be able to see the target with greater detail and clarity further away than you can in a game on a 2D screen. In real life, you'd have crew double-checking each other's observations. In real life you'd have other u-boats involved.

In real real life (my own experience), stationing a section tracking party or fire control tracking party would result in *many* people shoved into a control room, all adding to the solution. Although different, the US TDC typically had two people operating it together in WW2. Along with plotters running the ded reckon tracer, etc.

I have no issues letting the weapons officer ID the target. I have no issues letting the 1WO give a range/bearing. I do sometimes play with map updates off.

To that end, I judge GWX3 vs LSH3 based upon that:

1. GWX3 allows multiple mods of all kinds, including graphics updates.

2. LSH3 has what feels likes more traffic, so your not staring at a screen for hours with no contacts.
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote