View Single Post
Old 08-31-10, 06:01 AM   #13
Werewolf
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Just one advise, one of the few hniggles with SBP is that the AI does not reliably detect small water obstacles like small ponds of for example 2-3m size with steep walls. It tends to ignore them and get stuck. If this happens to you, ask again, I then tell you the possible remedies. Major rivers, bridging operaitons and using road bridges works well, though. Battle positions very near to rivers also is a critical issue, if the unit autonomously manouvers to adopt to enemy movement, it can sometimes retreat backwards into the river, and get stuck.
Well, in the tanksims that I have had crossing water wasn't even possible and if so the game didn't have the brain to simulate a tank being stock so for me this sounds like a "luxury problem" sort of speak . But thanks, I will certainly ask for advice right now the biggest problem is that I don't even have the game yet haha and I get more and more keen to own the more you write about it yum yum

Quote:
Not only modern. You now can set up original early cold war scenarios as well, the needed vehicles are there now. You can also tune the sim to reflect WWII-technology only, like I described in the SBP resources sticky.
Ah I see, so you can actually switch modern technology on and off? well I'm mostly interested in modern amored warfare.

As for the T72 and T55 .... well I would like to try, but actually I would rather like to see more focus on non US equipment like the French for example and their post WWII amored vehicles and tactics, the AMX series and their heavy use of fast armored cars / tank destroyers like the ebr75 and amx10rc. In that way I am quite satisfied with esim's shift of focus on the more "light combatants", I think the addition of the Centauro is great.

By the way speaking of T72 and 55's, have you read about the upgrades a lot of these tanks are going through now?

Quote:
Actually many maps are several times bigger than the maximum area you can have in a mission (some 400 square-km, if I recall correctly, which is big enough for platoon, company and batallion action, most used mission maps are considerably smaller). So you can use several different parts of one map to use for various missions. You can also change the season and geograhic scheme of any given map: it then has the same heightmap, but different architecture, vegetation, desert, woodland or snow schemes, etc.
Does that mean that the player will never be able to make use of the whole 400 sqaure km map or that it's just surplus to requirements? By the way, can you link scenarios together? I take it that the mission generator is so complex that one doesn't even have to......but I've seen a site where they have a lot of online campaigns going on and I was just wondering if campaigns are possible in single player too?

And as Fercyful says your detailed answers are really a pleasure to read, thanks
Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote