View Single Post
Old 06-08-21, 03:11 PM   #62
Kaye T. Bai
Samurai Navy

Location: Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Whacko View Post
Good luck! What made you choose to be a dental assistant? I am curious as I haven't met a person who chose a job like that. There are some kids in my unit who are qualified as Corpsmen at like 16. There is some training that I can attend where the subject is "Tac Med" which, from what I have heard, is REALLY demanding physically, mentally, and academically.

I had wanted regular corpsman originally, but it wasn't available when I applied, so I took HMDA since it was what was available and was close enough and I wanted to join ASAP. From what I heard they've got a nice standard of living, working in clinics and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Young Lad: be advised, Rule 1 of modern warfare: "An army (and navy or airforce) travels on it's stomach"! Basically we killed all the buffalo and practised biological warfare (smallpox) and simply out-ate the natives to make good Indians!...On submarines mealtimes are considered major moral boosters. You yourself discovered this when quaranteen'd in your bedroom with Covid and mommy occasionally slipped pizza under the door...but didn't confiscate your computer! A critical function of this military logistical principle is...GOOD TEETH! No one can effectively go "over the top" with an excrutiating abscessed tooth to bayonet the foe in no man's land. Hence, a dental assistant, with pliers and a bag of flossers, is essential equipment on any fighting front. They will not blow ballast for a sailor's toothach on a boomer! Even the Earps had Doc Holliday-dentist with them at the OK Corral!! EDIT: and take that TAKMed training; it's very useful at accidents, heart-attacks in your neighborhood/household etc. You'll be the "go-to man" holding the line until the EMT cavalry arrives; generally 10 min. on a dispatch, but essential to a victim in mortal distress. And it beats standing around gawking uselessly....

Thanks for the advice!

Unfortunately, I had to get medically separated/discharged halfway through training for a spinal condition I didn't know I had prior to joining, so I am back home as a civilian now. Crushed since I was adjusting well and thought I'd found my calling.

I'm going to try to get back into the Navy ASAP, but that'll probably take about a year at least (if the Navy won't take me, I might try the Army as a secondary choice). Here's hoping it goes better this time. I miss it already, I had more fun in boot camp and was happier in the 6 weeks I was there than I did in the past 10 years in civilian life.

Last edited by Kaye T. Bai; 06-08-21 at 03:33 PM.
Kaye T. Bai is offline   Reply With Quote