Old 12-03-21, 11:05 PM   #344
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

14 August 1942
Hong Kong reinforced with fighters, major bomber losses result

Luzon Strait
USS Skipjack encountered a transport and a cargo ship off Bataan Island. It fired 4 torpedoes at the transport, hitting it once, but it was a dud. It attempted a surface attack on the cargo ship, and to its credit, it persisted in the attack long enough to cause significant damage with its gun. But it also fired every last torpedo on board at it--20 total--scoring 4 hits, all of which were duds. So, it's headed back to base to rearm.

Bay of Bengal and Thailand
The bogeys spotted a few days ago was a surface combat task force of 3 CLs and 5 DDs. They bombarded Victoria Point and cleared datum to the south. Damage was minor.

Sweeps in Pisanuloke took out 3 of our Mohawks.

China
I raided Hong Kong one time too many. This time there were 43 Zeroes waiting for us. 4 Wellingtons were shot down. That's going to be the last raid here for awhile.

Hawaii and Line Islands
The Wasp delivered VF-8 to Hickam while a convoy delivered a squadron of P-39s. Another convoy delivered PBYs meant for Pearl to Palmyra--they'll fly the rest of the way in to avoid the sub blockade. The Kingfishers reported 3 hits on enemy subs--the first hits since I dropped the patrol range. Maybe this time we really hurt them. Local ASW surface forces are now in 3 groups (3 subchasers, 2 DDs, and a PG and an AM).

Reinforcements
SC-705 arrives at Balboa
YMS-114 arrives at San Diego
20th USN Naval Construction Battalion arrives at Port Hueneme

Also, intel reported the IJN Kako sunk. This was a heavy cruiser hit by a torpedo bomber in the Strait of Malacca months ago that I thought had gotten away.