View Single Post
Old 08-04-15, 01:54 PM   #44
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
I smoked a joint in the captain's chairs of both Iowa and Wisconsin when we were in drydock next to them in Philly in 77. Went aboard Missouri and New Jersey in SF during the first two Fleet Weeks there as well. So, I've been aboard all 4 Iowa class BBs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
I was just sorry that she couldn't be berthed at Mare Island. Since Mare Island was the only shipyard on the West Coast to actually build a battleship(USS California BB-44).
I sure hope you didn't BBogart that joint! Actually, the Iowa , for years just up river at Suisun ghost fleet, is better off where she's at. Mare Island does not lend itself to tourism. Vallejo is the crime capitol of the county. If you were aboard a certain light cruiser or an Amphib Assault ship in '77 I know where that joint came from; my BBY brother, the helmsman on both was also the ships medicinal herb and liberty-cash loan officer...the last word in usurious interest rates-generally 50%! He got caught with a back pack of the ship's supply in San D. and bought his way out with his illicit proceeds and retired honorably after doing his 20...from Scapa Flow to Thailand: CRY BLUE and GO NAVY!!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote