View Single Post
Old 03-26-20, 08:32 PM   #1915
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

@mapuc,

Yes but there are two ways to reach immunity, mapuc. By infection adn surviving it, and by vaccine, which is in principle a mild infection under controlled lab circumstances. Top get the latter, we need to buy time.

The Swedes, the Dutch and originally the British wanted to go like this man you mention says. But the math showed the British that by letting it just burn through the population, the health system would be overwhelnmed and the overall death toll from Corona as well as other patients not having Corona but not getting treated due to hospital collapse, were horrific and much higher than if you try to delay by flattenign the curve and hoping you get the time needed to have a vaccine.

The Swedes still seem to run "let it burn through the populaiton and count the bodies afterwards". By all what I have seen in the internet media, I must conclude that they will terribly regret this. The math simply does not compute. Not in Britains case. Not in Hollands case. And most likely also not in Sweden's case.

After the current social isolation phase, which will last 3-6 weeks I expect, we must find ways to get away from that, because we cannot endure that until next year economically. We must thus isolate and protect the vulnerable (elder), and have the less vulnerable being freed of the restricitions first (young). Until next year, we all will need to practice social distancing, I expect. A lot of social adaptation and changes in how we sustain the elderly people must be figured out as well. The old generations in families will find this tough. Caretklaing of the elderly will become extremely difficult and cost- and personnell-intensive. Human tragedies loom ahead.

I see small positives in all this, too, they are minor and seem irrelevant, even eccentric, but still. Not only is the city currently lacking traffic noise, which I like tremendously, but our habits of socially greeting when meeting the other, must change, too. No more hugs and kisses with colleagues and strangers, and hand-shaking. I never liked all that, while at the same time these things became ever more intensely practiced over the past 20, 30 years, to illustrate how "social" and group-compliant somebody is. From now on greeting will be a nod with the head, a friendly look , an implied bow, a friendly hand gesture like they do in India and parts of Asia, maybe. I like these more self-restraint social manners much more, the Western manners have become quite extroverted and even exhibitionistic over the past decades. And in ordinary living together in the public space, we need to become more decent again and act with more decency and distance, which I also prefer.

And finally, the complecancy that has spread widely here in the West, is shaken, and I hope it really gets cut back by all this. Suddenly, its about life and death, a real threat, no time for progressive mindfukking anymore , to use a term by Fritz Perls.

Real threats to life and existence, bring people back to their elemental senses. Hopefully. As communities we will need to learn to get along with less, and must learn greater modesty again. What we had taken for granted, suddenly is in doubt. We just have started to experience the first of two tsunamis. After the medical tsunami comes the financial-economic one. Its absolutely possible that it flushes our "money":LOL:-system away. This seocnd tsnunmai already has begun as well, we see it in the many people who got laid off already, and small businesses dying.

I hope we use the opporutntiy to ,let the many m,any zombie companies die as well, their quota in the economy has become unsustainable in the past ten years. Myartket emans that unhealthy, noncompetitive companies leave the game and get replaced by better suited, advanced contenders. Keeping dead corpusses alive and carry their weight along, any economy can sustain only until a certain quota, and not beyond.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-26-20 at 08:55 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote